Chicken and Biscuits Pot Pie
I don't know about you, but around here when the temperature drops I am dying to make a creamy and rich pot pie! I searched for a newer verision of the loved classic and found this easy, Chicken and Biscuits Pot Pie. This modified pot pie hit the spot while everyone in Atlanta was covered in ice this week :)
I adapted (made easier) the recipe from here
- 1 can of biscuits, such as Grands
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1 package of frozen mixed veggies (mine had corn, carrots, green beans etc.) OR 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut crosswise 1/4-inch thick, 2 small ribs celery, cut crosswise 1/4-inch thick
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 to 2 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 to 4 cups (about 1 1/4 lbs) shredded chicken
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves, or your seasonings of choice
- Easy way to shred the chicken: boil chicken breast for 20-30 minutes (depending on size). Place them in a stand mixer, shred for 2-3 minutes and you have perfectly shredded chicken!
- To make the filling: Preheat the oven to 400° F. Heat a large pot or Dutch over medium-high heat and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, sauté your veggies until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer cooked vegetables to a bowl with the chicken; set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the butter to the same pot. When melted, stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk, chicken broth, and thyme. Allow the sauce to come to a simmer and let it simmer for 1 minute to thicken. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the sherry (if using). Turn off the heat and transfer the vegetables and chicken to the pot, stirring until the filling is well-combined. Mix in the peas and parsley. If the filling is too thick (you'll know), stir in the extra chicken broth, about 1/4 cup at a time up to 3/4 cup until the filling loosens up a little.
- Pour the filling into a 13x9-inch baking dish and bake for 18 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven (keeping the oven on and door closed) and top the filling with the biscuits. Return the baking dish to the oven and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes, until the biscuits are golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
|Chicken Pot Pie and Biscuits|